Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Week THREE: WIKI MY BLOG

I must admit, I see all kinds of applications for using Wikis, and am really jazzed about the application to education...especially writing.  The National Writing Project has been using many of the same ideas, (authentic writing, writing for a real audience, empowering students through choice...) but this new delivery system is so quick, easy, fast, so...so wiki cool! 

Coming back down to Earth, here is the task for the assignment at hand. 
The wiki I created this week is for creating a database of fantastic resources for the tutors of the Verde Learning Center to use. The wiki is broken down into pages by subject area: Math, English, Sciences, Study Skills, and Verde Learning Center (VLC) Projects. We have tried for almost a year to create a way that tutors could share resource materials electronically. Having our own wiki is going to be so cool. I already invited all the summer tutors to join the wiki and one of our Math tutors has already added to it. I predict that faculty (I guess I need to invite them to join, first?) will add their class videos and other fav resources. If they do, that will mean that the tutors will have access to the video class lectures for any class on campus! A student can come in an review the session with the tutor, or SKYPE the VLC and review the video with the tutor on line. Is that the coolest or what!

My favorite aspect of the wiki is also my favorite thing about teaching...you gathering people together, present and idea and watch it take off! For example, our math tutor already embedded a math video, which was one of our assignments. I was thinking, this is great! I'll just assign the tutors to do the rest of my homework assignments! Fortunately, I remembered the instructors can check to see who posted what, when. Drat! Guess I'll save that embedding project for tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment