Wednesday, June 24, 2009

LIVEMOCHA - A COOL WAY TO LEARN A LANGUGE

Dear All,

This week for your comments is : www.Livemocha.com - the social way to learn a language.

Livemocha is a SNS where registered users can learn languages through audio-visual lessons, live peer coaching and other language resource activities.

Started in Sept. 2007, by March 2008, it boasted having 2,000,000 users from over 200 countries. I'd say that makes it popular.

It is the first major language learning tool to use SNS technology. They have a video that I will try to post.

I did sign on, as I want to assess as a learning resource for use with our YC students who come to the VLC - either for ESOL, English Modules or Spanish help. I also have a personal interest in taking Italian, as that is part of my heritage.

The lesson I view was interactive and required me to match phrases of words to photos. It was more difficult than it sounds.

That's it for this week, as I lost my first draft when I did a spell check. Be careful!!

Ciao, Bambinos! (Words from my first lessons)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Amy,

    You may find our website interesting as well...

    Hello-Hello will be a FREE language learning website combined with a social networking where members will be able to:

    - LEARN: do the lessons online anytime, anywhere

    - TEACH: get help from native speakers and help other members to learn their native language

    - COMMUNICATE: chat with people around the world to practice the language and make friends

    The lessons were actually developed by ACTFL (The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages) which assures their quality.

    The site will be ready in a few days and people that pre-sign up before the launch will become VIP members so go ahead to www-hello-hello.com

    ReplyDelete